Thursday 2 May 2013

Listening. Really listening.

When I think of assessment, I think how students can show me what they've learned. But what I really need to think about is how students can show me what they've learned or what they know. Taking what the students say and bringing it back to the curriculum to assess whether or not "they've got it" ... Taking conversations that have been had and relating it to a ministry document and deciding whether or not they have accurately represented learned information. In a play-based environment, this is the ONLY way to assess students learning without feeling like you're a chicken with your head cut off.

By taking a few minutes every day (even if its only 5 or 10) and investing "quality" time with students (even if its only a few students every day), I feel that I can get a better sense of "where they are and what they know" ...

After all, isn't that what FDK is all about? Learning though play ... Why stop a student from building a masterpiece and ask them to count for you when you can join them at the block centre and count how high their tower is?

:)

TTFN, Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment