Thursday 4 April 2013

Process vs. Product

At our last FDK Hub, we were asked what 'art' looked like in our classrooms. Since then, I've done some reflecting ... some questioning, and then more reflecting.

If the main objective of an art project is to practice colouring inside the lines, cutting along a dotted shape or following directions to achieve a 'desired outcome' then it probably isn't worth being called art.

Is there still a place for these activities in a play-based, student-centred and inquiry based classroom? Yes. Is it art? No.

Then what IS art in FDK? What does it look like? How do we facilitate a learning environment that promotes higher order thinking, exposure to different materials and various techniques without telling the students how to use the tools and what to do with them?!

Right or wrong, I'll tell you how we do it. We have an art shelf with all kinds of materials (from markers and scissors to pompoms and straws) that is always available for students. We'll put out paper (construction paper, butcher paper, newspaper, etc) and without telling them what we'd like them to 'create' ... they just CREATE! Don't let me fool you, all of this came with some struggle and strife. Cries like, "Madame, what are we supposed to do here?!" and "I don't know how to do it!" have been transformed into "Look what I made!" It took patience (on their behalf, and ours) and lots of reassurance but they're getting the hang of it.

Not every student is going to know what to do with the waterpaints when they're put out but this is where 'modelling,' 'individualized instruction' and 'guided practice' come into effect. We can show them what to do, give them some room to wiggle and try it out, then go back and see how their doing. Just today I had someone say, "Madame, my paint isn't working." So I sat down beside him and used it as a teachable moment to teach him how to use the waterpaints and for everyone else at the table, they learned a new concept of "value".

So, if we've decided that a teacher-directed art project is not art, but rather a craft with an end product instead (think: 25 identical frogs on a bulletin board) and that a student-led art project is one that has no right or wrong, no boredom (think: too easy or too hard) ... then where does PURPOSEFUL PLAY fit in? It has a place when the students are "IN INQUIRY" ... when they're engaged in what they are creating because they are creating something for their own sake of play (think: making wands to play with in the dramatic play centre for the castle). This didn't all happen on the first day of school ... it's been a long time coming. But, we're getting there.

For argument sake, do you think that took longer for the teacher to prepare this craft than for the students to complete it? What is the learning goal of this craft ... fine motor skills of cutting? Maybe. Following directions and sequencing? Maybe. Artistic expression? Hmmmm.

But, when the students aren't coming up with their own creative ideas ... making paper necklaces, cell phones, beyblades, etc ... they still need a creative outlet. Sometimes I'll put out materials just to see what they do with it (but secretly hope they do something cool) ...

For example:
 
Our art centre yesterday. I put a pile of printed letters the table and asked them, "What should we do with these?" ... And they responded with, "We should cut them." Notice how 'imperfect' their cutting is. Heehee. Then with a pile of blank letters, I asked them, "Now what?!" and they said "We should paint them" ... So they painted. And painted. And when the paint "didn't work," we talked about value.
 
TTFN,
Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Great post! A lot to think about. I am often guilty of the "craft" activity that takes me longer to prepare than it does for them to make. But I also have an "art" station where it is often just a creation station and I put out different things for them to use to create. You definitely brought up a lot of good points and things to think about. Karla
    http://kinderkarla.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Karla. I can see the value in both. Just yesterday, I had a craft in mind ... Sat down with some kiddos to begin and by about the 5th one, one of them asked, "Do I have to make a bunny? I'd like to make a fish instead." So even though I had a "plan" the students still ran with their own creative ideas and originality.

    They honestly never cease to amaze me!

    Thanks for the comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've also been reassessing and rethinking how I want art in the classroom. I agree with you that the process is so much more important than the product. That is the essence of learning in kindergarten! I put out art materials and supplies for the students to explore, but often it'll be the same group of students who want to use the center. And the parents of those children who never choose to do art have asked me if we have art activities in class! My compromise is that every month or so I will get everyone (in small groups) to do the same art activity... using similar materials and with some direction but I let the kids decide how to interpret!

    Here's another great article on process vs product.

    http://prekandksharing.blogspot.ca/2012/02/childrens-art-process-versus-product.html

    Priscilla

    ReplyDelete