Thursday 22 November 2012

I know why I'm a teacher.

I had a conversation last week with my mentor teacher - Mme. Moore, my emotional coach and curriculum guide - and I asked her, "Do you ever have those days when you wonder why you're a teacher?" And, she very quickly answered, "No. I never question why I'm a teacher. I question whether or not I'm doing everything that I can for my students. I question whether or not they're learning all that they can and I question how I can become a better teacher and more reflective in my practice ... But I never question why I'm a teacher. I know why I'm a teacher."

And this is exactly why I'm grateful for my mentor teacher. I don't think that I thank her enough. She's always so insightful and knowledgeable. She's honest and kind. Even when those two things don't go hand-in-hand ... she's a great listener and a great friend. Thank you, Mme. Moore for all that you do. It doesn't go unnoticed.

This week, I had the privilege to speak to parents during parent-teacher interviews and also during parent observations. When they told me that their kids LOVE coming to school, that they're singing French songs at home and that they fight over 'who gets to be Madame Kidd' when they play school ... it finally sunk in. I felt it. I know exactly why I'm a teacher and I'm pretty sure I'm allowed to have a day when I question the madness of it all ... but I will never, ever question WHY I'm a teacher again.


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment