Sunday 9 September 2012

Kids LOVE David!

I had a feeling the kids would love David. But I didn't know they would LOOOOVE David even in French. David is bad ... and he's always up to no good.

David va à l'école

We read "David va à l'école" at the carpet, sandwiching the French words with English and inferring from the pictures what David was up to. The kids were glued to the story, hanging onto every page. After we read the story, I introduced our 'craftivity'... I prepared (brown) circles for the head and the ears, black circles for the eyes, a black mouth and white triangles for the teeth. I showed students a model and asked for a raise of hands of who would like to make their very own David ... no surprise, everyone raised their hand.


This is what they looked like:

This was my 'model' to show them what the final product looked like ...
 

And this is what you get when you don't direct them to do it the 'right' way ... heehee. So cute.
 
On the second day, we re-read David and talked about the bad things that David did at school (chewed gum, butted in line, painted on his friends, etc ...) and I modelled how to draw a picture of David at school, using think aloud strategies. For example, "Hmm, David is not being very good at school. We read that he was standing on the desk. If I wanted to draw a picture of David at school, I would want to draw him standing on top of a desk." Then I asked them if they were going to draw a picture of themselves at school, would they draw themselves standing on the desk? NOOOO, of course not! I asked them to raise their hands and share what kinds of things they were doing at school. Then I modelled some of their examples. I prepared a worksheet from Mille Merveilles (Click here for link) and asked students to join me at the writing centre to draw self-portraits of themselves at school.
 


 

 
The result: diagnostic assessments on who could print their name, who could recognize letters in their name, who could hold a pencil properly ... and some cute selfies!
 
I had the JKs do the drawing only, while the SKs were asked to trace their name (I wrote them in yellow marker), and cut and glue the letters in their name in the proper order (I wrote out the letters).
 
I have die-cut frames that I'm going to attach their 'selfies' to, and it's going to be a cute display for the open house/BBQ. Oh, and I'll put up the David crafitivities too ... I can't resist.
 
TTFN,
 
 
 
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment